As more homeowners strive to save money on their electricity, reduce their carbon footprint, and achieve a greener home, it’s essential to learn more about solar energy. If you want to make your home more environmentally friendly, installing solar panels is one of the best solutions. According to the Environmental Working Group, over 1.5 million homes in California have solar panels installed.
While solar energy offers numerous benefits, it’s essential to learn about possible drawbacks before deciding if it's suitable for your home. In this blog post, our experts at Big Mountain Heating & Air will help you understand if solar energy is the right solution for your home. Let’s look at some pros and cons of installing solar panels.
Pros of Solar Energy
According to Project Sunroof, an average home in Sacramento is estimated to save $26,000 over 20 years after investing in solar energy! What’s not to love about that? Here are some other advantages of installing solar panels:
- It is truly a renewable energy source. While many other energy sources are bound to run out eventually, energy from the sun will not.
- You can reduce your environmental footprint. With minimal environmental impact, you can rest assured that solar energy is environmentally friendly.
- Your utility bills will drop significantly. Over time, it will cost less to rely on solar energy produced by your home’s solar modules than electricity supplied by your local grid.
- They don’t require much maintenance. A simple cleaning is all your system needs a couple of times a year.
- You may be eligible for tax credits and rebates. Depending on where you live, these savings can add up to 30% of the cost of installing your system.
Cons of Solar Energy
While the amount you can save in energy costs over the years is hard to beat, solar energy systems have some disadvantages. Here are some of the possible cons to consider:
- The upfront cost may be expensive. The initial investment of switching to solar may seem pricey. Remember that you may qualify for tax credits and rebates up to 30% of the cost of the system.
- Sunny weather is needed. Although collecting solar energy on cloudy days is possible, your system’s efficiency may decrease if conditions aren’t ideal.
- You may need to invest in energy storage. If you aren’t using solar energy immediately, it must be stored and saved for later if you want to use it at night or during power outages
- Solar energy systems require space. Having adequate room to install your system is necessary. The good news is that most homes get around this issue by having panels installed on their roofs.
Solar Panel Installation in Sacramento
At Big Mountain Heating & Air, we’re committed to making the solar panel installation process as easy as possible. We’re focused on bringing solar energy to Sacramento, Auburn, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, and beyond. You can count on our experts to finish the job right the first time!
Learn more about our solar panel installation services by calling us today at (916) 301-4315 or using our secure contact form.